When Abū Qudāmah al-Misrī embarked on the hijrah to Shām with his best friend Abū Mu’āwiyah al-Misrī in 2012, little did they expect that both, by Allah’s grace, would become shuhadā’ while fighting in the ranks of the very men who would go on to revive the Khilāfah.

Abū Qudāmah was a strong young man who left West London, United Kingdom in 2012 with his best friend Abū Mu’āwiyah to answer the call of jihād in Shām. So driven was Abū Qudāmah to fight for the cause of Allah and to seek the greatest of rewards, that he left the UK two months before his baby daughter was born.

Although Abū Qudāmah’s joking nature was known to always entertain his brothers, he would take his relationship with Allah very seriously, never missing the fast of Dāwūd (‘alayhissalām) nor enjoying a single night’s sleep without spending a portion of it remembering his Lord either through prayer or recitation of the Qur’an.He was known to seek the correct Islamic rulings in everything he did, and would never knowingly allow any doubts or falsehood to hold firm in his presence.

On watching the early videos released by alFurqān Media, Abū Qudāmah would always express his love for the Islamic State of Iraq, even before the announcement of its expansion to Shām.

Towards the end of 2012, Abū Qudāmah found out that his younger brother Yāsīn had become a shahīd in Afghanistan, and this only drove Abū Qudāmah to push ever-harder in his battles as he longed for his chance to give his life for Allah.

By Ramadān, both friends were fighting the Nusayriyyah in Halab, and both were injured within a week of each other. Abū Mu’āwiyah’s gunshot wound healed quickly, whereas Abū Qudāmah sustained a complicated injury to his heel. It took six months of intensive physiotherapy and treatment before he could use the leg properly again. When his plaster cast was finally removed he fell to the ground in prayer, prostrating for a long period in thanks to Allah (ta’ālā).

One year later during Ramadān (2013), his longtime companion and best friend, Abū Mu’āwiyah, was killed by a Nusayrī sniper as he was trying to save a fellow mujāhid, Abū Mūsā Al-Jazā’irī, who had been wounded in the f ighting while taking part in operations in the town of Salqīn in Idlib.


His shahādah could not have been more enviable: He was fasting, it was during the last 10 days of Ramadān, on a Thursday – one of the days in which a person’s deeds are lifted up to Allah – and all this in the beloved and blessed land of Shām.

This affected Abū Qudāmah. He became quite sad after the death of his best friend, not because he missed him, but because he’d lost his friend with whom he had always competed. He began showing an even stronger desire for shahādah. “O Allah grant me shahādah,” he would say in du’ā’, encouraging the brothers around him to do the same.

He was a different man following the death of his friend. He became even more focused, even more robust in his practice of the religion, and he learned many lessons through the battles with the Nusayrī army. By now, almost all of his companions had been killed in battle for the cause of Allah.

Abū Qudāmah developed into a sharp fighter who could see where the fighting in Shām was headed. He had originally entered the country through the territory of the Free Syrian Army, but his enmity towards them and their evil ways grew. In 2013, he would say to other brothers, “Watch the FSA, because those people are going to fight us soon.” Thus, he was known for his harsh disposition towards the FSA.


It wasn’t long after his recovery that he joined the battle for the village of Duwayrīnah near Halab, spending around ten days in ribāt. He would distribute food to the brothers at the furthest ends of the ribāt area, given that their area was very dangerous and, as such, their food had sometimes been delayed. Leadership qualities were noticed in him and he was given responsibility over a group of brothers on the frontline, coordinating their ribāt hours and taking care of their affairs.

During an advance by the Nusayrī army in which many brothers were killed and injured near a location dubbed “Point 10,” notorious for its close proximity to the enemy and their heavy weaponry, Abū Qudāmah would give the brothers reminders of steadfastness and shout,

“Paradise is under the shades of swords!” over and over again to encourage others who were under fire.

On the tenth day of ribāt, he and his companions entered Duwayrīnah to relieve a group of mujāhidīn, replacing them with a fresh batch of brothers. They suddenly heard a call for help. It was a medic, out of breath, saying that there was a fallen brother at a ribāt point called “al-Qalb” – the heart.

They all rushed to see what was happening. When they reached the location, they found a brother lying six meters away in front of a house that was facing enemy positions and known to be covered by an enemy sniper. The wounded brother was very exposed and there was no cover apart from a thin curtain hanging from one of the walls.

“Where is he hit?” asked Abū Qudāmah. “In the stomach, shot 5 times,” said one of the brothers who witnessed the shooting. The wounded brother moaned in pain and repeated his shahādah over and over again.

The sniper was not shooting, so the mujāhidīn knew it was an old technique to draw in a medic and get more kills. Abū Qudāmah didn’t care. He said, “Well we have to do something, we can’t just leave him there. You guys cover me and I’ll go get him.”

After a short discussion, the group agreed and the plan was set. While the medic ran over to grab the wounded brother, the rest of the group would provide cover fire in the direction of the sniper.

“We don’t want two brothers out there instead of one!” one of the brothers warned the medic before the rescue mission was launched.

It was a difficult situation but no one had a better plan, and the injured brother’s cries of pain were like daggers in the hearts of the murābitīn. Abū Qudāmah found time to pray, raised himself up from sujūd, dusted his hair out, and said, “Are we ready? Then let’s go!”

With one loud call of takbīr, all the brothers started shooting, trying to place as much suppressive fire in the direction of the sniper as possible so that the medic could make his attempt. The medic started his run, then hesitated. He regained his composure and attempted again but hesitated once more.

Abū Qudāmah saw this and took over, beginning his own attempt, moving closer and closer to the injured brother while continuously shooting, until there was nothing between him and the sniper’s scope. His magazine ran out so he quickly reloaded, not wanting to go back behind cover as he was so close to the injured brother he could almost touch him.

And then it happened.

The sniper fired once, striking him in the head, and he instantly fell to the ground. The brothers quickly pulled him in, put him on a stretcher, and sent him to the ambulance.

He was breathing for about 15 minutes on his way to the hospital. A brother who stayed with him the entire time testified that despite his severe head injury and with the back of his skull totally shattered, Abū Qudāmah repeatedly uttered the shahādatayn just before he stopped breathing.

“This is how I always pictured a shahīd to be both in life and death,” the brother who was in the ambulance with him later said. Abū Qudāmah was buried next to his companion Abū Mu’āwiyah, as he had requested in his will, and their competition in this world had finally come to an end. They had both achieved their dreams of shahādah for the cause of Allah, and they would now continue their lifelong companionship in Paradise, bi idhnillāh, after being resurrected together.

We ask Allah to grant them – and all the shuhadā’ – the highest ranks of Paradise and to join us with them when it’s our time. Āmīn…


[Taken From Dabiq issue 7 page 46-49]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s